News & Events
Medical Oncology In Australia - A History
In 2009 our Association celebrated it's 30th Anniversary. These celebrations had great significance for MOGA as the peak professional body for medical oncologists in Australia as our anniversary also marked thirty years since the emergence of medical oncology as a speciality internationally. It is hard to believe that medical oncology is only thirty-one years old and in that time Australia has developed the strong and robust professional medical oncology workforce to which we belong.
I would like to acknowledge the enormous contribution that our members have and continue to make to the development of medical oncology in Australia. Over the last three decades our Association and medical oncology have undergone substantial changes and played an ever increasingly significant role in the treatment and management of cancer. Medical oncology in Australia is a vigorous, dynamic, exciting and above all, challenging profession and our members are involved in a vast number of areas of practice including clinical care, cancer research (including biology, therapeutics, epidemiology and clinical outcomes research), health education, ethics and clinical teaching.
Associate Professor Michael Michael,
Chairman MOGA since 2009
Celebrating 30 years of Medical Oncology In Australia
Commencing at the Medical Oncology Group of Australia Annual Scientific Meeting 2008 in Christchurch, New Zealand and included a series of activities designed to put medical oncology in the public spotlight.
- A new website was developed and incuded a special 30th Anniversary page which focused on the Association’s history and the history of medical oncology as well as highlighting long serving members and a gallery of images from the MOGA picture archive.
- The new website features an improved Find an Oncologist resource for members and consumers along with a range of additional features and resources.
- An updated edition of the medical oncology trainee handbook called 'The Guide' developed by a Working Group of specialty consultants was developed.
- The 30th Anniversary special film, View from the Chair, focused on the past chairmen of the Association, each speaking briefly about their favourite memories as leaders of MOGA.
- A photographic competition, Visions of Medical Oncology, was held for MOGA members to express their vision of medical oncology in creative terms.
Anniversary year celebrations conclude at the 2009 30th Anniversary Annual Scientific Meeting in Canberra. The theme of the 2009 ASM was The Epidemiology of Cancer: From cause to care. Highlights of the 2009 Meeting were an exhibition of selected photos from Visions of Medical Oncology and View from the Chair.
MOGA RSS Feed
|Subscribe to our news feeds to receive the latest updates, live! Click here|